- This event has passed.
ATLAS OBSCURE DAY
April 16, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$25.00
Celebrate LA! Learn something new! Make friends! Win prizes! Experience awe and wonder!
On OBSCURA DAY, join the Los Angeles Obscura Society at an end-of-day celebration at the Valley Relics Museum, where we'll discover the history of the San Fernando Valley from the 1800's to the 1980's through a vast collection of artifacts and ephemera from matchbooks and postcards to vintage neon signs and cars.
While DJ Mukta Mohan (a regular on LA's own KXLU 88.9) spins vinyl from her own personal eclectic music collection with her DJ collective, Honey Power, we'll gaze up at salvaged signage literally hanging from the rafters—as well as at other glorious gems of commercial archaeology, including Chipmunks, Pep Boys, and even a Big Boy.
Pretty much everything that's come to Valley Relics is a treasure of businesses that have either closed or are still in operation, like rescued signs from Henry's Tacos in Studio City and Alta Dena Dairy in Burbank. While we're there, we'll get to hear fascinating stories behind these and other vintage acquisitions from the museum's own curator and founder, Tommy Gelinas, a lifetime Valley resident who was born in Burbank and currently calls Sherman Oaks home.
We'll also be joined by magician and illusionist, Siegfried Tieber, a regular performer at the Magic Castle. Specializing in close-up magic, the most intimate version of the Magical Arts, Siegfried will suspend the laws of physics and invite you to experience the impossible.
Notes for this adventure:
- A portion of the proceeds will support the operations of Valley Relics Museum
- Food will be available for purchase from the Bison Burger Truck featuring North American game burgers including bison, elk, wild boar, and a portobello mushroom burger for our non-carnivorous society members.
- Ages 12+
- Dress casual! Come as you are.
- Bring your cameras and share your photos with us!
- Plenty of free parking in the lot or on the adjacent streets.